Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
- Be aware that some people may be so obsessed with establishing a relationship that they will seek/accept a negative relationship
To prevent being stalked:
As soon as you decide you don’t want a relationship with someone:
Tell that person explicitly:
- You’re not interested in a relationship with that person
- You’re not going to change your mind
- You don’t want them to contact you
Don’t compliment that person may give that person false hope of a relationship
Don’t be afraid to be rude, if necessary you’re unlikely to turn a nice person into a stalker but you might turn a bad person into a stalker by unintentionally giving them hope
Don’t talk to that person again
Don’t let that person become involved in your life (e.g., get into your residence) by:
- Giving you a little insult which you could repair, e.g., you feel you’re too good for that person
- Acting more like your friend and less like a stranger
- Making you feel like you share circumstances with that person
- Putting the responsibility on you to take action later to cancel a date, etc.
If other actions don’t prevent a person from stalking you:
- Consider seeking a temporary restraining order seems to only be effective in approx. 2/3 of cases
Thanks for reading!
- 💬 If you have any comments, send us an email
- 📬 Subscribe to the Checklists! newsletter
- 📕 Buy the A Checklist for Your Life ebook