Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
- Call (800) 664-4435 for a free copy of the Consumer’s Resource Handbook – lists all Better Business Bureau’s, Consumer Affairs offices, Attorney General offices, etc in the U.S. (published by the U.S. Office of Consumer Affairs)
- Contact your local Consumer Affairs office for guidance on finding a reputable contractor
Before paying any money:
- Get a written contract signed by the contractor which specifies:
- That corrections will be made at the contractor’s expense
- Which kinds of changes are included in the price
- Exactly what is included
- Start and completion dates
- Payment schedule
- Your right to withhold payment until all work is done
- Get a receipt which specifies what it is for
Thanks for reading!
- 💬 If you have any comments, send us an email
- 📬 Subscribe to the Checklists! newsletter
- 📕 Buy the A Checklist for Your Life ebook