Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
When reading to your child who is learning to read:
- Give your child some time to look at the pictures on each new page before you begin to read
- Point to the words as you read them
- Read slowly enough that your child can follow and perhaps try to guess upcoming words
- Ask your child to guess what some words are, asking him/her to sound out each part of the word and helping him/her figure out the sounds
- Tell your child you’re going to make some mistakes in reading on purpose to see if he/she can catch them
If there are rhyming words:
- Ask your child to point out the rhyming words
Thanks for reading!
- 💬 If you have any comments, send us an email
- 📬 Subscribe to the Checklists! newsletter
- 📕 Buy the A Checklist for Your Life ebook