Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
- Contact host/organizer to ask:
- If there’s anything you can do to help
- If there’s anything you can bring
- Who else is expected to attend
- Arrange to attend with a friend, especially if you’re a woman to help ensure no one harasses you or drugs your drink and assaults you
If you think you might drink alcohol at the party:
- Make arrangements so you won’t be tempted to drive after drinking alcohol, e.g.:
- Ride with someone else
- Take a taxi
- Spend the night at the party site
- Watch your drink, especially if you’re a woman to ensure no one tries to drug you and then assault you
- Ask host/organizer if there’s anything you can do to help
- Send a thank you note to host/organizer
- Ensure the organizers and/or owners of the party location are covered by liability insurance
- Take steps to keep attendees from driving after drinking alcohol, e.g.:
- Encourage designated drivers
- Arrange for taxi’s, etc.
- Offer to drive attendees home
- Invite attendees to spend the night at the party location
- Make arrangements for smokers, e.g.:
- Signs asking people to not smoke or to smoke outside
- Place ash trays outside
- Ensure capacities of decks, balconies, rooms, etc. will not be exceeded
- Consider letting all invitees know who else has been invited – so they can arrange for carpools, etc.
- Douse cigarette and cigar butts in the sink
Thanks for reading!
- 💬 If you have any comments, send us an email
- 📬 Subscribe to the Checklists! newsletter
- 📕 Buy the A Checklist for Your Life ebook