Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
Items to have available:
- Paper towels
- Antibacterial soap for washing hands
- Meat thermometer which can be used on hamburgers, etc.
Organizing your kitchen:
- Keep combustible items away from the stove, oven, toaster, etc., e.g., dish towels
- Set up places for:
- Treats (e.g., cookies, candy)
- Put note next to treats: “Consider having fruit, vegetables and/or healthy snacks instead”
Upon bringing groceries home from the store:
- Wash hands before and after handling raw meat and produce (fruits and vegetables)
- Keep raw meat and produce separate from other foods, items and surfaces
- Store raw meat and produce so that it won’t contaminate other foods, items and surfaces
- Wash hands after handling raw meat and produce
Cleaning your kitchen:
- Use an anti-bacterial cleaner to prevent spread of E. Coli, Salmonella, Listeria, etc.
- Use 2 tablespoons of bleach with a quart of water to clean cutting boards, etc., then let sit for several minutes before rinsing bleach off
- To kill bacteria, place dish rags, sponges, etc. in either:
- The dishwasher on the dry cycle (be sure to secure them)
- The microwave for one minute on high