Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
To make it easier to change a flat tire:
- Put a breaker bar (also known as a four-way) in your vehicle – makes it easier to loosen tight lug nuts
- Ensure you have a jack, and the wrench to operate it, in your vehicle
When you have tires rotated, etc.:
- Tell the mechanic that you want the lug nuts torqued to manufacturer’s specifications
Lazy mechanics often tighten lug nuts too tight with automatic tools
- Ask the mechanic to use a torque wrench to ensure all lug nuts are tightened evenly
Unevenly tightened lug nuts can cause uneven and dangerous braking, especially with disc brakes
- Ensure your spare tire is properly inflated
EXPLORE: At Home
Thanks for reading!
- 💬 If you have any comments, send us an email
- 📬 Subscribe to the Checklists! newsletter
- 📕 Buy the A Checklist for Your Life ebook