Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
- Dry cleaning workers appear to have twice the risk of getting cancer as the general public (because of “PERC”, a chemical known as tetrachloroethylene or perchloroethylene, also called “PCE”)
- Consider wet cleaning instead – although it may not get stains out as well as dry cleaning
- Dry clean clothes only when necessary, e.g., consider just getting certain clothes wet cleaned or just pressed
After bringing dry-cleaned clothes home:
- Take the clothes out of the bag immediately
- Wait 4-5 days before wearing those clothes