Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.

Residence: Buying


  • Find a good inspector

After finding a residence you're interested in:

  • Have residence inspected by a home inspector

If the residence was built before 1978:

  • Have a thorough lead test of the residence conducted by a certified professional
  • Determine the risk of flood damage (check with your insurance agent, bank, town hall, etc.) most homeowners underestimate the risk of flooding

After buying a residence:

If your residence is in a flood-prone area:

  • Consider obtaining flood insurance most homeowner's insurance policies do not cover flood damage
  • Consider obtaining a sewer and drain rider on your insurance policy to protect against flood damage, even if caused by local flooding
  • Obtain federal flood insurance
  • Consider federal flood mitigation insurance to help with rebuilding to meet federal flood standards
  • Ensure your vehicles are protected against flood damage


  1. On January 5th, 2011, flood damage san pedro said:

    I hope there is a constant stop! This is one of the best blogs Ive ever read. Youve got some crazy skill here, man. I just hope you dont lose your design and style because youre definitely one of several coolest bloggers out there. Please keep it up considering that the internet needs someone that you spreading the word.

Leave Feedback