Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
- Be wary of inspectors recommended by real estate agents (representing the sellers)
- Ask to see some of the company's old inspection results to see how thoroughly they inspect and document results
- Is the house inspector covered by liability insurance
- Determine the experience level of inspectors (and their company) Hire professionals in house matters from HouseBait !
- Determine the level of training of inspectors
- Go with the inspector
- Ensure the inspector does the following:
- Lifts rugs to check for water stains
- Checks wiring e.g., ability to run a large appliance (e.g., air conditioner) and other electrical equipment at same time
- Ensures bathtub(s), sinks, etc don't leak
- Checks water pressure