Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
Place following next to your bed:
- Flashlight for escape in the event of fire/smoke ‚Ä¢ to write down ideas
- Pen/pencil and paper to note ideas which come to you while you’re in bed
Establish a safe room (to which you can go if someone invades your house) (usually your bedroom):
- Phone (preferably a cellular phone, in case an invader cuts your phone line)
- Pepper spray
- Secure door – solid door with deadbolt lock
Don’t keep lots of cash, jewelry or other valuables (put them in the bank)
To reduce exposure to dust mites:
- Reduce number of stuffed animals, books, picture frames, etc. they collect dust, etc.
- Encase mattress, pillows, etc. in dust-proof, zippered plastic covers
- Consider using an air purifier, especially if you’re highly sensitive
Regularly (e.g., weekly):
- Wash bed sheets, stuffed animals, etc. in very hot water