Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
- Determine whether a building permit is required
- Determine what needs to be inspected and when, e.g., footing holes for proper width and depth before filling with cement
If you intend to have a contractor do a home improvement project:
- Get at least three estimates in writing
- Check with the Better Business Bureau
- Check the references of contractor, companies, etc.
- Look at previous work that contractor has done
- Get everything in writing, especially the start and completion dates
If buying wood:
- Consider using wood polymer composite boards – contain recycled materials – requires no maintenance
- Call the local utility company to determine if there are any gas, electrical or water lines where you intend to dig
Before applying stain:
If wood is outside:
- Wait 3-4 weeks – to let pores open up and to help ensure an even appearance