Here are some things to consider doing. Some items may not be applicable to you.
Well before guests arrive:
- Consider taking the herb echinacea – to possibly prevent catching a cold, etc. from the people, especially children, you’re visiting
Well before they arrive:
- Ask guests if there are any special items (e.g., food, toiletries) they would like for you to have available for their visit
Shortly before they arrive:
Make following items available for guests:
- Towels (bath, hand)
- Wash cloth(s)
- Extra pillows
- Alarm clock
- Notepad and pen/pencil
- Soap and shampoo in their bathroom
- Phone in their room
Clean their room
- In their room, make some room in drawers and closets for their things
- Clean out vehicles – if guests will be riding in or driving them
After they arrive:
- Give them keys to the house, vehicles, etc.
- Give them the code for security system(s)
- Demonstrate alarms (e.g., smoke, carbon monoxide, security) so they know what they sound like
- Show/tell them where extra blankets, towels, etc. are
- Show them how to adjust heater and/or air conditioner
- Show them how to open windows, etc.
- Show them exit routes in the event of a fire, etc.
- Tell them how to use the phone, e.g., dial “1″ first
- Turn off ringer for phone in their room
- Offer local maps, brochures, tour books, etc.